Thursday, October 21, 2010

Echo Flower Shawl

I actually finished this little shawlette a few weeks ago, but had a Japanese Embroidery student here from England for several weeks and didn't get around to posting the pictures until today. This shawl pattern is one of those amazing designs that looks exquisite regardless of the yarn or needles used. In addition, you can make it any size you like simply by adding repeats. No advanced arithmetic is necessary to compute border stitches.



I finished the shawl in less than a week, knitting a repeat here and there when I had a few minutes to spare. Yes, it has nupps on the border and those pesky 2-into-9 and 3-into-9 increases, but only every fourth row or so, and was surprisingly easy to knit. The shawl was made with my own AK-47 20/2 silk yarn in the Grapeful colorway on US size #4 needles. I added a few #8 orange beads to the border just because I haven't beaded anything in a while and felt like picking up small round thingies from the floor.




 I fully intend to knit it again with some handspun, and I don't believe I have ever before knitted a shawl pattern twice. It's that sweet a pattern.

This is a short post, so I thought I would take the time to remind everyone that I always reply to comments so long as there is a way to do so. If you don't have a Blogger account or otherwise leave me a way to contact you, all I can do is try to reply by telepathy. This usually doesn't work well because there are mentating animals in and around our house that cause interference.

I am off to SAFF tomorrow, so if you happen to see a short lady with a pink stripe in her hair, stop me and say hello, will you?

29 comments:

m1k1 said...

oh. go on. try the telepathy. i'll be sitting here going ommmmmmmmmm till i 'hear' from you.
nice knitting, by the way.
and have fun, you pink stripy lady, you.
xxx
jen

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! I think I have to knit it.

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful shawl. It looks like a very complicated lace pattern.

If you attempt to reach me by telepathy, I can't guarantee that it will be me receiving it, with my menagerie. If you get a message back about Led Zeppelin, that would Dammit intercepted telepathy with his large ears.

GinkgoKnits said...

I keep thinking this pattern looks like a lot of fun but now I think I better actually put it in the queue. The considering a second knit is always high praise and makes me take notice.

Cheryl S. said...

I really enjoyed that pattern, too! There were some parts of the pattern that weren't as clear as they might have been, but the actual knitting was pretty straight-forward. I'd love to knit it again in a stretchier yarn than the bamboo I used for my first one.

Laritza said...

Lovely! as everything that comes from your
hands

JelliDonut said...

Unbelievably pretty!

Janice in GA said...

Have fun at SAFF! I'm missing it again this year. :(

OTOH, I get to go to the lake w/husband & dogs. :)

Jenn said...

That's lovely! I have seen so many wonderful shawlettes. I've yet to do one, but your description may sway me.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, that's gorgeous! But all those nupps, those aren't my favorite.

Päivi, Lankakomero said...

Very, very beautiful!

LittleBerry said...

love the shawl - think it might entice me to use some lace yarn up from my stash ;o)

Love your colour way...

Robin said...

Really beautiful in this yarn!

Soo said...

Gorgeous! Looks like a great pattern and I love the colour you've chosen.

yarnlot said...

Another beautiful lace object! So many lovely patterns and so little time...
The interference must be largely due to the antenna ears of the fluffy white animal, seen on your Flickr photostream on October 18th!

Kitty Kitty said...

Wow... that is really beautiful. Love it with the beads that just pop. Lovely!!!

Shea said...

Gorgeous!

gayle said...

Beautiful! I've got that pattern printed out and ready, but I really (really) have to finish one of these shawls already on the needles before I cast on another. Really. (I think I'm starting to whimper.)

miukat said...

Beautiful shawl! Off to rav to put in my faves... Hmmmm, Fleegle yarn on my Xmas list this year :D

Deborah said...

Very pretty shawl. I didn't see a reference to the pattern. What is it? Or is it something you made up?

KPiep said...

As always, it's a gorgeous shawl! Reminds me that I have some beading I need to get back to.

Would you believe that shawls are the one thing that I'll actually knit more than once? I've done it three times - all patterns that I've loved so much that I had to see them done in another color/yarn. Usually I put a couple of years in between them, and I have to really, REALLY love the pattern...but it's always worth it!

Marushka C. said...

I have Echo Flower in my queue and now it's going to move up! Yours is beautiful. I love the beads in the contrasting color, they're a nice surprise for the eye.

Walden said...

Very lovely! I started one a few months ago and this makes me want to pick it back up and start working on it again!

Carol said...

As always, lovely. The beads add a nice weight to the edges.

KPiep said...

The pink fiber on my blog is merino from Greenwood Fiberworks on Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreenwoodFiberworks I lucked into her store one day, and she's since become one of my favorite fiber suppliers for a lot of reasons!

I think you should perhaps put Harry to work picking up all of those beads. He's got to be good for something, right?!

CeltChick said...

Dratted Innerwebs blocks! I can't get to Ravelry from work, so I haven't a clue as to the name of this lovely shawl. Is this a purchased pattern? Hehe, better watch what "little round things" you're handling, especially if Rambo's been around!

CeltChick said...

Oh, boy, do I need to pay attention much? The name is in the post title! 'Scuz me while I go round up a few brain cells.....

Experimental Knitter said...

Gorgoeus and I hope you had a GREAT time at SAFF.

BTW, my verification word was "doglitu." Is that where canines read Lassie stories?

Lacefreak said...

I've often admired that shawl but your version is gorgeous. I love how you always use beads that stand out rather than blend in :-)