Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Knitting Miscellany

A camel ride wasn't my only anniversary gift. I also received this magnificent hand-turned yarn bowl out of which balls (or pink flamingos) cannot leap...


...and a magnificent hand-turning ball winder from Nancy's KnitKnacks. I cannot overstate how fabulously quick and neat this unit turns skeins into shapely yarn cakes.



One of the disadvantages of skeins is that you can't actually do much with them besides admiring and squishing. So I filled a large bag from my stash and turn it over to Roy, who has been graciously exercising his winding arm. It was a rare treat to sit down for an entire afternoon and make little test swatches.

One of the swatches was so entrancing that it has since morphed into a new project I have named the Water Lily shawl. I think the pattern works beautifully with the soft variegation of Cheryl Schaefer's Andrea in the Minnie Pearl colorway.


In the meantime, I finished the center of the International shawl and worked my way up through most of the first border, an Estonian design (a modified #113 from Pitsilised Koekirjad). I was feeling like an especially hot-needle babe, until LaceFreak pointed out that my corners were not where they were supposed to be. I won't show you a picture of the poor shawl, which is currently underwater in the Frog Pond.

And finally, Harry handed me these pictures of his Bling shawl as he pranced out the door for his Swing Dancing class. Bling, Swing, AnnoyING.


20 comments:

old lady said...

That yarn bowl is yummy! Such a work of art right beside you. Can we send our skeins to you for winding? That looks like it can handle a lot of yarn! And those shawls - what a nice way to end the posting!

Soo said...

Harry knows his lace! Lovely!

And I'm very jealous, not only of the very nice ball winder - but having a yarn winding volunteer. Your yarn bowl overloweth!

Dave said...

If a corner is not where it is supposed to be, is it nonetheless not a corner? Could such a new corner not exist in peace with the corners-which-were-to-be-but-were-not? This knitting stuff is apparently much more complicated than I originally thought.

Opal said...

Such an array of treats! I love the yarn bowl. I wonder how well it would stand up against inquisitive felines.

Water Lily is so refreshing. Like a fresh breath of spring air. :)

Kris said...

Wow, the yarn bowl is beautiful. I keep seeing them on folks blogs and I'm getting a bit obsessed with the lovlies. Must. Have. One.

Water Lily shawl is beautiful. Nice work.

2trees said...

love the Water Lily

Judith said...

what a stunning work of art that yarn bowl is! Mr. Fleegle has such good taste. Your Water Lily shawl is lovely and Harry's Bling - well, what can I say - it's webalicious! I agree with Dave about the un-corners.

LittleBerry said...

Love the hand turned bowl.... what sort of wood is it?

Waterlilly shawl is looking lovely and I like those tiny flashes of stronger colour in the yarn which make it interesting.

Have to say the bling shawl is living up to its name and looks great...

Kristina B said...

Can we have photos of Harry at the swing dancing class wearing the shawl? I'd probably pay money to see that! :-)

Wonderful treats. Where do you live? I covet both the yarn winder and the bowl. :-)

Cheers,

Kristina

BadCatDesigns said...

Lovely loot! Someone knows how to select gifts for you.

Your Waterlily design is very delicate looking. I will watch for its progress. Harry's work is pretty nice too...but the poor corners on the International! That is one I can't wait to see completed.

Laritza said...

The yarn bowl looks like a great idea. My latest acquisition was an electric cone winder. My husband will not touch a skein of yarn with a 10 yd stick, you are lucky!

LittleBerry said...

thank you :o) but I always feel high praise when you say something about my work as compared to you I'm a mere novice!!!

I have to say yours was one of the lace blogs I ever found and it has inspired me from day 1 :o)

LittleBerry said...

thank you :o) but I always feel high praise when you say something about my work as compared to you I'm a mere novice!!!

I have to say yours was one of the lace blogs I ever found and it has inspired me from day 1 :o)

Carol said...

so the husband redeemed himself fromthe camel ride, then? Or should I say bribed? Very nice bribes they are!

Lacefreak said...

I had no idea that Roy's second career was assistant ball winder! All this and he gives terrific presents too. I have total envy for your beautiful wooden yarn bowl. It is to die for. Needless to say, my sister has been eyeing that wooden ball winder for awhile and this may just push her over the edge :-) You deserve all the good stuff and I guess Harry will just have to look on in envy. The Water Lily shawl looks lovely. What stitch is that you are using? Very delicate :-)

Smitten Knitten said...

Oh, what a lovely winder! It must be nice having a helper who understands the goal of using the ball winder is not to go so fast the the nearly finished ball flies across the room :).

Heidi said...

Beautiful shawls, and yarn.
I wish that I was brave enough to attempt something lace.

StashDiva said...

Very nice gifts indeed, I have now a very nice shade of green on my face, I believe it's called envy. The shawls are great looking and I sure would like to see Harry in his class.

June said...

Wow! I love that bowl, it looks amazingly smooth and polished! Your morphing is beautiful as is the pretty yarn cakes - ooh what an idea for an anniversary gift (with our intentions of keeping it small).

EGunn said...

What a beautiful bowl! And I love Water Lily, too. My husband loves ball winders. Not sure why, but I get all of my yarn made into cakes while I shop if I'm not careful (I haven't bought one yet, as I tend to open-skein most things). At least it keeps him amused while I pet the yarn!